Todd Carney has revealed he regrets not being able to repay the faith showed in him by Marwan Koukash during his time at Salford Red Devils, while he was also upset with how he left the club.

The 33-year-old former Canberra Raiders, Sydney Roosters, Cronulla Sharks, Catalans Dragons and Hull Kingston Rovers half-back had a spell with Salford during the 2017 Super League season.

Carney revealed in his autobiography¬†Hard Truth¬†that Koukash – who was the owner of Salford at the time – was a decent bloke and felt bad that he couldn’t produce his best rugby for him.

The ex Australia international also revealed that he was unhappy with the way he found out he was no longer going to be a Salford player – after he read it on social media.

Article continues below the advert

He wrote: “My timing in joining Salford could probably have been better. They had two of their marquee signings in the halves – Robert Lui and my old Canberra team-mate Michael Dobson – and I felt a bit out in the cold there.

“It didn’t help that in my first game after signing, I spent the entire 80 minutes on the bench – not the best way to make a new boy feel welcome!

“I played around seenteen games that season but was plagued by calf troubles throughout. The calf is a frustrating injury – once you get it, it’s hard to shake and only a long rest can ensure you have beaten it. And just when you think it feels fine, it can ‘go’ on you again and that was the case in my season at Salford – the cold weather and soft grounds only made things worse for my legs.

“I was upset I couldn’t play my best football for Marwan, a good bloke and genuine lover of the game who helped raise league’s profile in England. It was a frustrating season, I only signed for one year and the club announced on social media that they weren’t keeping me – not the ideal way to part company.

“Even though I have plenty of baggers, I use social media a fair bit myself and fired back, saying I would have loved to stay on but that my contract wasn’t renewed because of cutbacks, which is what they told me.

“So I put this message out on Twitter to let the fans know why I was leaving: ‘I respected the team (and) the coach I never wanted to leave but the club asked me to leave to save money.’ And with that, I packed my bags and left England for what I believed at the time was almost certainly the last time as a professional footballer.”