New Zealand secured a series whitewash win over Great Britain with a 23-8 success in Christchurch.

The Kiwis outscored the Lions three tries to one in the second and final Test, and although GB had plenty of possession in the second half they were well beaten in the end.

Great Britain’s ill-discipline and some Shaun Johnson magic was their downfall in the first half as the Lions trailed 16-2 at the break.

An early error from Blake Austin put GB under immense pressure, but they were let off the hook as they conceded a penalty close to their line and Jamayne Isaako opted to kick the penalty instead of running as the Kiwis led 2-0.

Article continues below the advert

The Lions were soon back on level terms as Gareth Widdop slotted over a penalty, but that was as good as it got for Wayne Bennett’s men in the first half.

New Zealand scored the opening try on 12 minutes when Jake Connor rushed out of the line and Joseph Manu took advantage by touching down in the corner. Isaako missed his conversion attempt but they now led 6-2.

Two successive penalties from Isaako saw the Kiwis extend their advantage, before Johnson took control. First, he won his side a dropout with a sublime kick over the Lions defence, before he took on the British defence and danced his way over – Isaako’s conversion made it 16-2 at half-time.

The Kiwis put the result beyond any doubt six minutes after the restart with an outstanding team try. Kodi Nikorima, Benji Marshall and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad all comined down the left with Ken Maumalo acrobatically getting the all down in the corner as they now led 20-2.

The Lions needed a big response and they got it as Josh Jones offloaded in the tackle to send hooker Josh Hodgson over for a try. Widdop converted as Britain now trailed 20-8.

The Lions improved in the second half and they thought they were back in the game when John Bateman looked to have grounded a kick through, but television replays showed he did not get a touch.

GB certainly had their chances to win this game with Connor having a try ruled out for a knock on, while Austin dropped the ball inches from the line but they found it difficult to break down the Kiwis.

In all honesty, the damage was done in the first half and they secured the series win with an Isaako drop goal and penalty late on.